Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Goodbye Jake


This past week we lost the family dog, Jake. I call him the family dog because, he was. Jake belonged to no one person. I got Jake my senior year of high school. He was my dog. I cleaned up after him, feed him and he slept with me. He was my crying shoulder and always there to cheer me up. He had this amazing personality. He loved people. Didn't matter who you were if you came into the house you had to meet Jake. He made sure of it.

When I went off to A&M he was stolen; by my dad. Spending their days together they became the best of friends. They would take daily visits to the new house (under construction at the time) in the vette.

Jake was the best. There wasn't a mean bone in that dogs body. In fact, the one time he was bitten by another dog at a softball game Jake didn't do anything. Just took it. He was a special dog.

About 3 months ago Jake was diagnosed with lymphoma. Given his age, the family made a decision that we would just make Jake comfortable and not put him through chemo. Up until his passing he would swim 6 times a day and despite not feeling well was still good for a snuggle. Oh, and that dog loved Emmers. When we came over he would always have to come say hi to her.

Jake we are going to miss your twisty-butt, 100 mph, energetic self. You were loved and respected by all. The other night we were at my parents' house (where Jake lived) and my mom was feeding Casey, Rosie and Daisy. She tried to feed Daisy in Jake's bowl and she refused the food. You will be missed dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment